Sunday, February 11, 2007

My Ear is Not Ringing Anymore, but My Hammer Is

The H K on J demonstration that I blogged about a few days ago was
yesterday (didn't see any of you, my 3 readers, there by the way). To
be quite honest, I had low expectations. Two years ago I went to
Moratorium Day in Raleigh (that is Moratorium on the Death Penalty) and
there were maybe 40 people there.

But, fortunately, my cynicism was bull-dozed by the magnitude of the event upon which I stumbled.

There were indeed thousands as the flyer had called for. I parked at the general assembly, which was almost a mile from the auditorium where everyone was gathering to start the march. So, I set out up Fayetville St expecting to see a group huddled together in the cold.

On the way there I walked with a man who was wearing an X hat, I asked him, "Are you hear for H K on J." He said, "Yes sir, all the way fromAsheville, NC." At this point I started to appreciate how widely word was spread for this event.

As I neared the auditorium, before even seeing, the massive stone building I started hearing a melody, "Walk with me, Lord. Walk with me." Around the corner, and there it was, three enormous loud speakers playing the music that was going on inside the auditorium, people boiling out of the front doors. This was going to be much more than a huddled mass of people out in the cold. Cops on horses surrounded the building, while shouts of protest echoed from the loud speakers.

I walked in got my ticket and found a seat. The auditorium was packed, people were clapping, and dancing, and shouting,and testifying, it was like being in a backwoods,Pentecostal church. Only, this congregation cared not if you were Muslim, Jew, Hindu, or Atheist. All they cared about was that you were going to shout and
fight for a change.

There were many speakers and many singers, they spoke for nearly four hours before the march to the General Assembly started. But, nothing could beat the President of the North Carolina NAACP,Reverend Dr. William J. Barber.

Rev. Barber is a huge man, he walked with a cane and he commanded the attention of the entire crowd the minute he came on stage. People assisted him up to the podium. He took a moment to gather himself, and he started off very quiet and composed, and then after a few minutes he noticeably became consumed with anger and dissatisfaction, it looked as though he might crush the podium with his grip. His composure escalated to a steady roar until finally he was screaming to the top of his lungs, that "We must believe" we can make a difference.

Sorry for the long post, for me this was just an amazing experience.
Thousands of people, literally thousands of people filled the streets of downtown Raleigh. It was invigorating and inspiring, and to see a fighting spirit in so many taught me so much.

2 comments:

alison claire said...

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/scoopblog/archives/barber.jpg i wanted to see what he looked like :)

Cagney Gentry said...

Here is a slightly more flattering picture.

http://www.naacpncnetwork.org/Publicity/page2/&thisy=&thism=&thisd=

make sure you highlight all the way over to the right.